Welcome to the website of the Complex Fluids Laboratory (CFL)
The common theme of the research group, Complex Fluids Laboratory, is to understand the complex flow behavior
of fluids. We are particularly interested in foams, emulsions, biological fluids, and fluids containing nanoparticles.
The ultimate goal is to develop novel, scalable techniques for processing complex fluids into multifunctional,
high performance articles.
Hide old news
- 6/12/2017 - Congratulate Sahil on successfully defending his PhD thesis.
- 9/4/2016 - Congratulate Erik on publishing in Biophysical Journal - "Direct Tracking of Particles and Quantification of Margination in Blood Flow".
- 7/28/2016 - Congratulate Alan and Sahil on being named inaugural Anton Paar Fellows. Link 1 & Link 2.
- 7/28/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma and group partners with Anton Paar on developing the next-generation rheometers. Link 1 & Link2.
- 7/13/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma and colleagues receive UConn Academic Plan Grant ($300,000) to develop a custom-built inkjet printing platform for electronics manufacturing. Link .
- 6/24/2016 - Congratulate Yang on publishing in Rapid Prototyping Journal - "Inkjet and Inkjet-based 3D Printing: Connecting Fluid Properties and Printing Performance".
- 3/2/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma receives Non-tenured Faculty Award from 3M. Link
- 2/11/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma represents UConn to serve on the Technical Council of NextFlex - national flexible electronics manufacturing institute. Link
- 2/11/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma and Sahil Vora publish a book chapter on "Understanding the phase behavior, rheology and processing of carbon nanotube suspensions" in Carbon Nanotechnology by One Central Press. Link
- 1/13/2016 - Congratulate Sahil on winning a GE fellowship.
- 1/6/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma and colleagues publish in Macromolecules - "Relationship of extensional viscosity and liquid crystalline transition to length distribution in carbon nanotube solutions.". Link
- 1/5/2016 - Prof. Anson Ma and team publish in Review of Scientific Instruments - "Controlling system components with a sound card: A versatile inkjet fluid testing platform". Link
- 12/10/2015 - Congratulate Alan on winning a NASA CT Space Grant fellowship.
- 10/15/2015 - Sahil was selected as a finalist for the Carbon Nanomaterials Graduate Student Award at the 2015 AIChE Annual Meeting in Salt Lake City.
- 10/15/2015 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an award presentation at the 87th Society of Rheology Annual Meeting in Baltimore. Erik and Yang also presented their research at the meeting.
- 8/11/2015 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "3D Printing for Biomedical Applications" at the UConn Health Center..
- 6/2/2015 - Prof. Kelly Burke and Prof. Anson Ma are receiving a CT Regenerative Medicine seed grant to research on 3D printing of human instestine models.
- 4/10/2015 - Prof. Anson Ma has been selected to receive the prestigious Arther B. Metzner Early Career Award from the Society of Rheology. Link
- 4/6/2015 - Prof. Anson Ma and students publish in Langmuir. - "Surface pressure and microstructure of carbon nanotubes at an air–water interface". Link
- 12/19/2014 - Erik and his research on nanoparticle-based drug delivery are featured on the department website. Link
- 12/16/2014 - Congratulate Yang on winning the second prize of the micrograph contest organized by UCONN chapter of Keramos..
- 11/17/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma was the Area Chair for "22A Carbon Nanomaterials" at the 2014 AIChE annual meeting in Atlanta, GA. He also presented a talk entitled "Surface Properties of Carbon Nanotubes at an Air-Water Interface."
- 11/07/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "The Applications of Nanoparticles for Foam Stabilization and Drug Delivery" at the University of Maine.
- 11/05/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma did an TV interview with Channel 8 News on 3D printing for biomedical applications. Link
- 10/22/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma gave a rheology workshop at the ALTANA Innovation Conference held at BYK Additives & Instruments, Wallingford, CT
- 10/15/2014 - A paper co-authored by Prof. Anson Ma has won the Best Applied Paper Award of 2013 from the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) South Texas Section. The paper was published in the journal Science. Link
- 10/09/2014 - Erik Carboni and Sahil Vora presented their research work on particle margination for cancer therapy and carbon nanotubes at air-water interface, respectively, at the 86th Society of Rheology (SoR) meeting. Link
- 07/15/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma joins the editorial board of Nano Open. Link
- 07/15/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma and colleagues publish in ACS Appl. Mater. - "Facile Synthesis of Co3O4@CNT with High Catalytic Activity for CO Oxidation under Moisture-Rich Conditions". Link
- 05/13/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma and students have been featured on UConn Today - "Students Design Artificial Kidney with 3-D Printing". Link
- 04/10/2014 - Prof. Anson Ma and group publish in AAPS PharmSciTech - "Particle Margination and Its Implications on Intravenous Anticancer Drug Delivery", AAPS PharmSciTech, Online First. Link
- 1/13/2014 - Congratulate Huseini on winning a GE fellowship to work on 3-D printing.
- 1/1/2014 - CFL receives a UConn Faculty Large Grant for “Developing a High-Resolution Inkjet Printer for Additive Manufacturing”.
- 12/20/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma joins the Editorial Board of the Research Journal of Nanotechnology. Link
- 12/17/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "The Flow Behavior and Processing of Carbon Nanotube Suspensions" at
the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology.
- 12/17/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma participates in the US-Japan Faculty Exchange Program sponsored by NSF.
- 11/21/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "The Microstructure and Rheology of Carbon Nanotube Suspensions" at
the University of Rhode Island. Link
- 10/25/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "The Microstructure and Rheology of Carbon Nanotube Suspensions" at
the NCS: Northeast Complex Fluids and Soft Matter Workshop at Rutgers University. Link
- 09/09/2013 - Congratulate Rodney on winning the Presidential Enrichment Award to visualize drops for high-resolution printing. Link
- 08/26/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma joins the editorial board of the Journal of Chemical Engineering and Process Techniques Link
- 05/08/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma joins the editorial board of the Journal of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering Link
- 05/08/2013 - CFL receives two research grants via UCONN's Manufacturing Technical Assistance Program to collaborate with Jonal Laboratories and Foster Corporation.
- 05/07/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma gave an invited talk entitled "The Microstructure, Rheology, and Processing of Carbon Nanotube Suspensions" at Levich Institute, City College of CUNY. Link
- 04/23/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma and Rice colleagues publish in Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research - "Scalable Formation of Carbon Nanotubes Films Containing Highly Aligned Whiskerlike Crystallites". Link
- 04/07/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma joins the editorial board of the Journal of Energy and Chemical Engineering Link
- 04/05/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma and colleagues from Virginia Tech and U. Bridgeport publish in the Journal of Applied Physics - "Structural and band alignment properties of Al2O3 on epitaxial Ge grown on (100), (110), and (111)A GaAs substrates by molecular beam epitaxy" Link
- 01/30/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma has received the prestigious NSF CAREER award to research on the interfacial rheology of carbon nanotubes! Link
- 01/11/2013 - Prof. Anson Ma and Rice colleagues publish in Science - "Strong, Light, Multifunctional Fibers of Carbon Nanotubes with Ultrahigh Conductivity", Science, 339(6116), 182-186. Link
- 12/10/2012 - Prof. Anson Ma and team have been featured on UConn Today! Engineer's NSF EAGER: Tumors, Nanoparticles, Blood.
- 11/14/2012 - Congratulate Yang on passing her exam to be qualified as a PhD candidate!
- 11/09/2012 - Prof. Anson Ma has been chosen to receive the "Distinguished Young Rheologist Award" from TA Instruments.
- 10/10/2012 - Congratulate Huseini on passing his exam to be qualified as a PhD candidate!
- 10/03/2012 - Prof. Anson Ma and Rice colleagues publish in ACS Nano - Mirri, Ma, Hsu, Behabtu, Eichmann, Young, Tsentalovich, and Pasquali's article on "High-Performance Carbon Nanotube
Transparent Conductive Films by Scalable Dip Coating" has been accepted for publication in
ACS Nano (Impact Factor: 11.421). Link
- 08/13/12 - CFL has received the NSF EAGER award to research on the flow dynamics of nanoparticles
in simulated blood flows for improved cancer therapy. Link
- 06/29/2012 - Prof. Anson Ma and Rice colleagues publish in Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research -
Dan, Ma, Haroz, Kono, and Pasquali's article on ¨Nematic-Like Alignment in SWNT Thin Films from Aqueous Colloidal Suspensions¨ has been accepted for publication in I&EC Research (ACS publications). Link
- 04/10/2012 -
Congratulate Profs. Anson Ma, Bill Mustain, and Dan Burkey on winning the Provost's General Education Course
Enhancement Grant Competition. The grant will be used to develop a new course entitled "CHEG 1200
Introduction to Food Science and Engineering". The course will illustrate how to apply basic chemical engineering
principles to understand food science.
- 03/30/2012 -
Congratulate Erik on winning the prestigious NSF Graduate Research Fellowship ! NSF GRFP
- 02/04/2012 - First group meeting
- Febr 2012 - Launch of the CFL website
Funding Support (Since Fall 2011)
as PI, co-PI, or named investigator with major participation. Research: $1.21M; Instrument: $818,398; Education: $1.26M
- 2016 – 2018: Developing Next-Generatoon Rheometers Anton Paar
- 2016 – 2017: Pushing the Envelope of Inkjet and 3D Printing 3M Corporation
- 2016 – 2017: GE Fellowship: Interfacial rheology of carbon nanotubes (Sahil Vora)
- 2015 - 2017: Selective Laser Sintering Test Bed for Additive Manufacuring: UConn Academic Proposal Grant PI: Xu Chen; Co-PI: Rainer Hebert
- 2015 - 2016: Printing Flexible Electronics: United Technologies Research Center
- 2015 - 2016: 3D Printing Polymers: TE Connectivity
- 2015 - 2017: 3D Printing Human Intestine Models: CT Regenerative Medicine Grant
- 2015 - 2016: Composites Manufacturing: Pratt and Whitney (PI: Accorsi)
- 2014 – 2015: Resin characterization Phase I (co-PI: Suib, Sun and Parnas) & Phase II (PI): GKN Aerospace
- 2014 – 2015: UConn Internal Faculty Large Grant: Developing a High-Resolution Inkjet Printer for Additive Manufacturing.
- 2014 – 2015: GE Fellowship: 3-D Printing of High-performance Polymer Composites (Huseini Patanwala).
- 2013 – 2018: NSF CAREER Award: Understanding the Interfacial Rheology of Carbon Nanotubes at the Fluid-Fluid Interfaces for Creating Ultra-stable Emulsions and Microcapsules (CBET Fluid Dynamics). $400,000
- 2013 – 2016: NSF MRI: Acquisition of a State-of-the-Art Small Angle X-Ray Scattering (SAXS) Instrument for Research and Education (DMR). (PI-Nieh, Cole, Adamson) $568,398
- 2013 - 2014: Manufacturing Technical Assistance Program, Office of Economic Development, University of Connecticut (2 grants with Jonal Laboratories and Foster Corporation).
- 2012: TA Instruments: Distinguished Young Rheologist Instrument Grant.
- 2012 – 2014: NSF EAGER Award: Understanding the Flow Dynamics and Transport of Nanoparticles in Simulated Tumor Blood Flows for Improved Cancer Treatment.$150,000
- 2012 – 2015: NSF Graduate Research Fellowship (Erik Carboni).
- 2012 – 2013: UConn Provost’s General Education Course Enhancement Grant (co-PI: Mustain and Burkey).
- 2011 – 2012: UConn Internal Faculty Large Grant.